Sunday, August 3, 2008

Topsail for Training and Toasting

Just returned from a week on Topsail Beach in NC. With just two weeks until my Timberman 70.3, I knew I had to get some training in.

The biking was great down there. Despite major headwinds on some roads, it was very flat and the roads had bike lanes (imagine that :-) ). Road almost every day. Running was also good despite the heat.

The swimming...well, it didn't happen. Had on my plan to do 2 open water swims. As many of my training partners may know, I am a bit nervous about swimming in cloudy water. Add to that the possible of having a fish with large teeth in the near vicinity and I'm kind of worthless. So, there were two additional things against me this week. First, it was shark week on the Discovery Channel. I become glued to this show and then my imagination takes over when I am in the water.

Second, and most important, Topsail Beach had become invaded by sharks the week we were there. My dear hubby was trying to convince me that the water was safe. Well, on day 2 of our visit we went out on the fishing pier and learned about all the 6 and 7 foot sharks that had been spotted and caught over the past couple of days. Dear hubby knew there was no convincing me to go way out in the water with him now. And later in the week we saw a tiger shark right in front of our rental house. No way, no swimming.

Anyways a fun week. Lots of wine and margheritas so hoping I detox by Timberman.

No comments: