Friday, September 26, 2008

Putting it all in perspective

On Tuesday, September 23rd I had some minor surgery to remove a squamous skin carcinoma (i.e., mildly aggressive kind of skin cancer) on my back. I had a biopsy 4 days before and got the results on Monday. Doctor didn't recommend waiting so I went in the next day. I now have 10 stitches on my back and can't run or swim for 12 days.

As it is only 6 weeks until The Ironman 70.3 World Championships, this is kind of a bummer. I also can't race the Pinehurst triathlon on Oct. 4th, putting me out of the running for any local NCTS awards.

Hate to say it but BFD - I am so glad to be healthy. I have a new inspiration as I sit on the ^*%&%( elliptical machine and spin bike - so glad I can do something. Worlds may not be as speedy as I'd hoped, but I will race it with a new attitude and zest for the day.

1 comment:

Rebecca DeWire said...

Hi Kerry,
Sorry to hear about the skin cancer, but at least they caught it and removed it. I also had a basal cell removed from my forehead about 3 years ago. Check out the frankenstein picture on my blog.

http://rebeccadewire.blogspot.com/2008/05/skin-cancer-awareness-month.html

Good luck at 70.3 worlds and don't forget to wear your sunscreen :)