Monday, July 12, 2010

You want me to swim how many 100s???

I am now 13 days away from my first Ironman. During this training I have pushed my body to do things I never thought possible. Run 22 miles, bike 120 miles and swim so much that my hair is turning orange (hope to change that tomorrow at beauty salon).

One of the things that I am most proud of during this training is that I have NEVER not saved a turtle while biking on the road. Even during my most important training days out on the bike, I have always stopped to help a turtle make it to the other side. If I don't have time to save a turtle then I have lost perspective in all this insanity. However, race day the turtles are on their own :-).

So last week I notice that my coach has put in a dreadful thing on my training plan. A 5,000 yard swim that includes 40 x 100 on the 1:35 interval. Really?? And three days before this workout I come down with bronchitis. Lucky for me I had company - I was joined by my fellow racer and teammate Joanna Younts, along with my coach and his wife, Dave and Monette Williams.

Its an interesting thing to be swimming for over an hour straight at a pace you really can't even hold for 10 minutes. I felt really bad for # 10-20 of the 100s but then started to go numb. Numb is good and I finished somehow. No matter what happens race day I will know that I can now swim 4,000 yards straight and still come home and make pb&j sandwiches for the boys and do 2 loads of laundry. Take that Martha Stewart :-).

No comments: