Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cary Long Course Duathlon

This was my second year racing the Cary Long-Course Duathlon. I started off the run feeling fresh and settled in to a good pace. I ended up with a nice split of 32 min. for the first 5 mile leg in second place behind just turned pro Anne Basso.

The bike started smooth and I felt strong. Alicia Parr passed me on the bike but I kept an eye on her to try and catch her on the second run. At mile 28, things took a turn for the worse. A volunteer on the race course left their spot and about 20 riders – including myself - missed a turn and got off course. After riding a couple of miles, we all realized that we were a bit lost and turned around. We added about 4 extra miles on the bike but finally made our way back to transition.

A few of our ‘lost pack’ dropped out of the race but I figured I’d get the workout in and finish the event. Ran through t he last 5 mile run and ended up with a 3rd overall female place.

No comments: