Tuesday, May 5, 2009

White Lake I

Only six days after racing the long course duathlon nationals in Richmond, VA, I was dreading the start of the White Lake Half Ironman on May 2nd. Why had I signed up for these races so close together? Three days after the duathlon, I was still hobbling and walking down the stairs one step at a time. I was also on antibiotics trying to recover from a sinus infection. Could I really race and complete a half-ironman? We’d find out!!

After sharing some laughs with teammate Jeanna Chain prior to the start, I started my swim. No records were broken but I made it through the swim without coughing. Felt good on the bike until I hit some headwinds on route 210. Fought the wind most of 210 and part of 53. Definitely felt the effects of my race 6 days before on my legs but muddled through it.

Lucky for me, the sky was cloudy during most of my run. I settled in to a steady 7:20ish pace and just tried to hold on. I ended up with a half-marathon run time of 1:36:50 and an overall half-ironman time of 5:01. This earned me first place masters open female and a 6th female overall spot. I was happy to stay out of the medic tent and am looking forward to some R&R before Eagleman in June.

No comments: